There are so many right times in your life to quit smoking. We know, we know, it’s hard, it’s an addiction and you’ve tried before. It boils down to how much you want it, will power, and how much you care about your health and the health of those around you, especially if you have kids.
We as dental providers care about your health in general, specifically your oral health and when we peek at your chompers, we can see the effects of smoking on your teeth and gums. Those effects include staining of your teeth and tongue, bad breath, gum disease and bone loss. Sometimes we may even spot the start of a cancerous area in your mouth from smoking in which you will be referred to a specialist for a biopsy.
There are so many reasons to quit smoking that far outweigh the short time of happiness a cigarette gives you…….how about quitting so you can have a long lifetime of happiness to share with others and feel better in the process?
7 Reasons You Should Stop Smoking NOW!
1. 4-5 cigarettes ingested whole has enough nicotine to kill an adult.
2. Cigarettes contain arsenic, formaldehyde, lead, hydrogen cyanide, nitrogen oxide, carbon monoxide, ammonia and 43 other known carcinogens.
3. Scientists claim an average smoker will lose up to 14 years of life.
4. Smokers have a weakened immune system that has to work harder than non-smokers.
5. According to the CDC, 480,000 people die annually from smoking and from secondhand smoke.
6. Smoking one pack a day costs about $5,000 a year.
7. Urea, a chemical compound that is a major component in urine, is used to add “flavor” to cigarettes.
If you are thinking about quitting smoking, please call the National Network of Tobacco Cessation Quitline at 1-800-QUITNOW (332-8615).
Information compiled from the CDC, smokefree.org, listverse.com and staff at Szmanda Dental Center 2014